Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wild Wednesdays

Wednesdays are long. For me anyway. They start out at 7am when I get up, feed the dog and let her out, make breakfast, pack L's lunch for her day at Earthroots Field School, feed H, get L up, get myself dressed, go back and tell L to get up again, grab some coffee, eat some food, go see if L is dressed yet. She is not, ask her again to get dressed, pack her backpack, help H go to the bathroom, check on L to find her half dressed on her bed looking in the mirror. Someone please tell me the secret to getting kids out of the door on time. She loves Earthroots! Always says it is her favorite part of the day but getting her there! Sheesh! You'd think we were going to a doctors appointment to get shots! Oh my daughter. She is a smart, beautiful girl and she so lives in the moment. As do most kids, no? I wish I could do this like she can. However, if the entire world lived in the moment like she does nothing would ever get done!
Then our wonderful nanny G gets here and I can now fully focus on getting L out the door which doesn't happen without one "I don't want to go!" Her rain boots are still a little damp from last week and we have meltdown. I convince her it is the best option and finally by 8:20 I'm in the car with L and her breakfast, 10 min later than I hoped but still thinking we'll actually be on time for once. I should have known better.



Earthroots is an amazing outdoor school. L takes a homeschool class once a week for 6-10 year olds from 9am - 2pm. Every week they meet at a different outdoor location and learn something really cool like how to get tannic acid out of acorns. Or some kind of nut, can't remember. Today they learned about animal tracks. They hiked at a wildlife sanctuary and spent some time at the nature center. Every class they take time to write in their journals. An aspect I really love. A lot of kids today don't get the opportunity to spend a lot of time in nature, learn how amazing it is and really fall in love with it. I am so glad that Lucy is getting this opportunity. I wish there was a class like this when I was young!


Anyway, the only drawback to this class is that it is at least a 40 min drive for us each way. Today it was an hour which meant 4 hours in the car. At least I could listen to NPR on the radio when Lucy wasn't in the car. So, the being on time thing went out the window at 8:40 AM. L didn't go to the bathroom before we left and so we had to stop at the Starbucks to use the bathroom. I can't just go in and use the bathroom because I feel guilty so I stood in line to buy something first. 20 minutes later we were on our way. We were 20 minutes late to class. So how is it that young children have bladders of steel! I don't know about you but I have to pee first thing when i get up in the morning. L has gone hours in the morning before peeing. I just don't get that! Anyway, after all that driving it meant that I had time to put dinner in the crock pot, make 2 phone calls, see the chiropractor, shop for groceries and take L to ballet at 5:30. Wednesdays are long days for L too.



After I got everyone to bed I sorted a pile of junk in the guest room so I could put it out for donation on the curb tomorrow and now here I am on the couch typing up my day.
I better get off to bed before my husband wakes up and and see me up late again. Another Wednesday under the belt. Only about 20 more of these to go before summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment