Thursday, January 13, 2011

Finding my inner craftiness

Tonight I actually got to leave the house for the evening before the kids went to bed (thanks honey) and go over to a friends house for crafting night with some of my favorite people. I usually refer to it as "crafting" night because some times there is not much crafting going on just a lot of laughing and a little wine drinking. I was not a crafter when this get together first started. I joked that my craft was drinking wine. I have always wanted to create and make things however and became inspired enough to actually give it a try after seeing all the lovely things my friends were creating. How hard could it be?
First I became really good at buying craft books. One does need inspiration, right? I had about 4 books and a couple of magazines before I made anything. I also became pretty good at buying all the supplies that I will need to make the craft and in fact always bought extra fabric or felt or whatever it was I needed, just in case. I started with a bag and it actually went pretty well but I haven't yet finished it. I think I started it 2 to 3 years ago. I then made a baby kimono which didn't turn out too badly considering it was the first piece of clothing I'd ever made. I will not be giving it to anyone however as it is unwearable. I then decided I was going to make something for the preschool craft fair 3 short weeks before it was to happen. I choose a felt table runner. I had seen it somewhere and it looked pretty easy. That was Christmas 2009 and the unfinished table runner is still in my closet. I also have enough felt to make two of them. I decided I needed help so I signed up for a sewing class and actually finished a project! I made a tote bag that I actually use I'm happy to say. Then I made four baby head kerchiefs/bibs for this years craft fair. Someone bought them and I am just hoping they they don't get returned. Then a friend taught me to silkscreen and I did that on some store bought dish towels and made a bunch for Holiday gifts. I am now working on a dress for my daughter made out of her dads old shirt and I also am needle felting a bit. In a couple of weeks I'm going to learn how to crochet. So crafting is taking off a bit for me. The reason is that I'm learning not to be scared to make a mistake! After that realization I'm much more relaxed about it. My goal is just to finish projects. What a great lesson for everything in life. Don't be afraid to make a mistake.

The fantastic group of women that I have these "crafting" nights with are now talking of starting a swap. I better step up my game because I don't think I'll be able to swap a dish towel for a beautifully crocheted neck cowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment