Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sick days

I really think that it should be physically impossible for a mother to get sick. At least until the youngest child is 6 years old. It really is impossible to be a good parent when you feel like poo. The kids end up in pjs and diapers until noon or later and are lucky if they see any sort of real food besides cheese crackers and granola bars.
I felt it coming on Friday night. It was just a little itch in the throat and I didn't think much of it. Santa Ana winds most likely I figured. Then on Saturday there was no mistaking it. Either this was really bad allergies or I had a full blown cold Seeing as my nanny was sick and my daughter was complaining about a sore throat the odds were good that this was a cold. I made an emergency call to a friend for some homeopathic meds and pushed forward. We went to the beach Saturday morning so that was pretty easy. I put the kids in the bath when we got home, ate some lunch and then laid down on the bed every chance I got. Which means whenever the kids had involved themselves in some task and weren't calling for me or weren't threatening to do bodily harm to the other. I think I got about 30 seconds each time.
Saturday night was date night and although all I wanted to do was to crawl under the covers, sip hot tea and watch a movie I also had not had a moment alone with my husband in over a week so again I pushed forward. Getting dressed up helped a bit and also knowing I didn't have to do the bedtime routine that night. Why is it we can't wait to get the kids into bed at night but we also don't want to do the steps to get them there? If we could just jump right to books it would be so much easier.
Anyway, off to sushi we went. We got a great seat at the sushi bar and ordered the happy hour special. A Kirin and hot sake. Ahhhh. Hot sake was just what the doctor ordered! I felt so much better after a sip! I felt way better after 2 glasses! Sick? Who's sick?! Oh man. Look out for the mom away from her kids for the evening. Luckily I didn't overdo it, drank tons of water and woke up this morning just feeling like I still had a cold. I got through the morning and then my wonderful husband took the kids to the park and after a quick call to a friend I took an amazing nap. I wish I could do this every day! Feeling better now but not 100% . Off to bed now so I can get to bed early. Which means before midnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment