Sunday, January 30, 2011

Back to Life

We are back at home after an amazing week in Missoula. We experienced fresh snow, ice, rain, sledding, skating, basketball, the symphony, bus rides, learning to crochet, good friends and very special time with family. The really amazing thing is that some of these things were firsts. It was their first basketball game, their first symphony, H's first bus ride, L's first time on ice skates and the first time they spent a good amount of time in the snow. We live in an urban area with tons of things to do but we didn't ever do any of those things before we went to Missoula.

The trip home was uneventful minus the meltdown L had in the airport gift shop because I wouldn't buy her an activity book. Never mind she had three in her backpack and had brought her crochet work with her which she just learned to do that day. The meltdown ended quickly when we rounded the corner to the the gate waiting area in the very small, quiet airport and she realized about one hundred people were starring at her. We found a spot to sit and she got busy crocheting. Amazing how a child can turn a tantrum on and off!

We arrived at LAX around 8:3o which is 9:30 Montana time. Neither of my kids slept. I really don't know how this is possible but they seem to be able to stay awake for ridiculously long periods of time. After gathering our bags and finding Daddy outside we settled in for the 40 min drive home. H fell asleep about fifteen minutes in and Lucy about twenty-five. She was busy crocheting before that.

We were able to put H right in bed with only a mutter of "cover me up Mama". Lucy awoke when we got home and went right to her room, turned on a book on CD and started crocheting her dolls necklaces. We were finally able to get her ready for bed by telling her she could listen to her book and crochet but she had to be in bed. I figured ten minutes and she'd be out. When I went to get ready for bed at 11:45 she was still up. I think she had crocheted about 3 necklaces and 2 bracelets done by that time.

Today we spent the day at home. H pulled out almost every toy he owns. I think he was taking inventory. L spent most of her time crocheting but did manage to pull herself away to eat and to play a bit with her brother. It is always bittersweet coming back home. L put it best in saying, "I really am going to miss Amma but I really want to see my friends!" It is great to be in our own beds and play with our own toys but we found ourselves missing Missoula. Especially when we heard that it is snowing and the wind is howling. That sounds pretty exciting to us!

Tomorrow we are back to our classes and our friends. It will be fun to tell them all of our adventures. Right now I'm going to try to clean up all the toys H pulled out so my husband doesn't trip over them in the morning. Then I hope to sit down and do a little crocheting.

side note -
I will be missing the editor that I had in Missoula. My words may not flow as smoothly and my grammar may not be as good as it has been this past week. Thank you Mom!
Special thanks to Cyndy at Loopy. She taught both L and I to crochet which was no small task. Check out the website for this beautiful store at http://www.loopyknitcrochet.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment